MyLife (The Life of Jimmy Bui)

The purpose of me using blogger is so that I can record my interesting escapades that I encounter through my life. I've had interesting trips, met interesting people, done interesting things, and such but no place to record them! I'll slowly edit my profile online so that perhaps I can continue to meet interesting people more down the line. I could've done a journal but then I wouldn't be able to share them.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Jose, CA

Saturday, July 29, 2006

The So-Called Random Inspection

If it's so random to do searches on people at the airport for weapons, then why is it a coincidence that every time I'm at the airport I'm searched?

We arrived at Oakland Airport for our flight to Maui at around 8:45, with our flight leaving at 9:35. Being a veteran when it comes to flying, I figured coming late would not be a problem with the new technology of E-Check-Ins. You walk to a terminal, enter your information in, tell how much luggage you want to check-in, tags are printed behind the counter, you give your luggage, and you're on your way.

Upon our arrival for ATA, there was a huge line going around the corner, something quite unexpected. As I got into line the guy in front of me asks "Are you flying to Maui?" Another veteran flyer, he was also surprised of the long line. With some inspection of the departure screen, I see that 3 other flights are leaving at the same time!

Fortunately, a woman went through and did a final call for flights to Maui. Apparently there was indeed two terminals that you can do an E-Check-in, however the people in line were not using e-check-in but rather with the person in front. With the way they place the computers, you wouldn't know they were there unless you finally made it to the front of the line.

After we checked in our luggage we made our way to the security checkpoint. Dumping everything I had in the plastic bins I was ready to walk through the metal detector right after my mom. The sign says everyone has to take their shoes off and send them into the x-ray machine.

The metal detector went off on my mom. The security guy did a quick with his detector stick and tells my mom "You have to take your shoes off ma'am."

My mom, not paying attention, forgot to take her shoes off. As a result, she earned herself a free ticket to the inspection box. The security informs her to walk through the left path (rather than the right, where you can pick up your gear) and wait there.

I don't think my mom understood what he was saying, because she went through the left side, back tracked, and went back to the right side.

Through the whole commotion of her walking to where we were (as I was putting up my gear), security comes up to me and says "I'm sorry sir you're going to have to leave your things here for a bit." They decided to put ALL THREE OF US through the inspection box.

Frick, why are we being told to go in for inspection AFTER we were oked to go on through? "Damnit mom" I was thinking to myself, I think security figured we were organizing a hand off of explosives or something so rather be unsafe, they decided to inspect all of us.

I wasn't happy, downright annoyed that I went through the random inspection AGAIN. This was just one of the many trips where I was inspected.

I didn't have to listen to the security's instructions because it's happened so many times already: Lift one leg, lift other leg, stand up with arms straight out, arms down to sides, and then you're okay to go.

Our items were then released. "Thank you for cooperating" the guy who searched me said as he walked passed me. Did I have a choice?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home