MyLife (The Life of Jimmy Bui)

The purpose of me using blogger is so that I can record my interesting escapades that I encounter through my life. I've had interesting trips, met interesting people, done interesting things, and such but no place to record them! I'll slowly edit my profile online so that perhaps I can continue to meet interesting people more down the line. I could've done a journal but then I wouldn't be able to share them.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Jose, CA

Friday, June 30, 2006

The Traffic King

It's been almost a week since I started my contract job at Stanford University's School of Law, Communications Department. My job is intense as my title is basically "Content Management" for a rollout of their new rebranded website (Another blog).

Not only is parking a b**ch there, it's the commute. Since I'm driving my car this time around, it took me only 30 minutes on Monday, 40 minutes on Tuesday, and 75 minutes on Wednesday to get to work. I tried both Highway 101 and Highway 280, and either way it's 30 miles of agonizing driving.

Like a soldier, you'll need tools to combat the monster that is the highway. You'll need intel, because you need to know what you're up against.

I found some relevant websites that give you 10-minute interval reports and as low as 2 minutes. There are even some traffic cams if you need to see with your own eyes how traffic conditions are.

My favorite is sfgate.com's traffic reports. At traffic.511.org (http://traffic.511.org/sfgate) you can view a map of the area which can update traffic conditions between 2 - 5 minute intervals. It's pretty accurate and you can change the shades of the map to your interest.

Along with 511.org is SF Gate's sfgate.com/traffic/ page. Although you have to refresh the page on your own, it's a great way to see a quick summary of the incidents that have just occurred. Refreshes every 10 minutes.

FOr the cam enthusiast, Cal Trans has various cameras at probably not-so-useful angles around the area. http://video.dot.ca.gov/

Although I have learned that all the sites do is make me whine about traffic a little bit earlier in the day, it does help me select which of the two evils to go against. And to think I have another 1.5 weeks of this crap.


Cal Trans Live Cam Feeds: http://video.dot.ca.gov/

Quick Traffic Summary: http://www.sfgate.com/traffic/

2-Minute Traffic report Map: http://traffic.511.org/traffic_map.asp

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home