MyLife (The Life of Jimmy Bui)

The purpose of me using blogger is so that I can record my interesting escapades that I encounter through my life. I've had interesting trips, met interesting people, done interesting things, and such but no place to record them! I'll slowly edit my profile online so that perhaps I can continue to meet interesting people more down the line. I could've done a journal but then I wouldn't be able to share them.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Jose, CA

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Your Super-Power

We all know of a super hero.... spider-man... incredible hulk.... they all have some sort of superpower. They were given this gift... and in their life journey they had to struggle to control it.

We all have a super power. Think of your best attribute, something that you feel defines who YOU are... a personality trait that defines you.

I cannot speak for you, but I can speak for myself and use myself as an example. My best attribute is my perserverence.

I can start on a task, be it a sport or dancing or web design.... I never give up until I am satisfied that I have accomplished my goal.

In my day-to-day acts I never give up, and I would stick to it longer than most. Some would give up due to frustration... for me frustration is just part of the process.

I don't know where this attribute started.... it could be because I studied in biology and research..... in research you're taught to never give up and to search for an answer.

Or maybe it was before that? Maybe it was bred into me by my parents. Whatever it may be, perserverence is something that has been in me for a long time. That, is my super-power. My super-power is an extension of myself. I perservere, and it is used in my day-to-day acts.

My super-power also extends into relationships. I have a habit of sticking out in relationships at a point in time when others would have given up. I will work out a relationship and not call it quits unless I feel that it is absolutely necessary.

However, like Cyclops or Rogue or Iceman or any of the other superheroes.... you start with a gift that... unless you learn how to control..... it will get the best of you.

Sometimes, my super-power blinds me. I will pursue a woman... for whatever reason.... and totally forget about all the hints that tell me a relationship with this person will not work.

I met a woman that was an object of desire for many men. I pursued this person... and was successful. Unfortunately she was a complete mismatch to me.

Or, I will work at a relationship that is for obvious reasons failing... but will work at it because I think with a little effort it'll be okay.

My perserverence blinded me.... as my core attribute... my greatest attribute... took a hold of me.

It is my greatest attribute, but yet also something that has given me failure. Sometimes I just don't know when to quit. This has led to many unnecessary hearbreaks... lots of lessons learned... but a better understanding of who I am.

I've learned to recognize when to quit... when to let that perserverence run crazy... but also recognize when to pull it back.

I don't know what your super-power is... but whatever it is it must be great... especially when you can recognize it in yourself. Too often we proceed through a relationship thinking that our love or our ability to love will conquer all... help the relationship move along. Unfortunately this isn't always true.

Whatever power you have.... accept it for what it is... but also understand it. Understand when to use it... when to hold it back.... and when to stop it completely.

1 Comments:

Blogger Aimee Seaver said...

That, was a very interesting super power ramble. A lot of people who ask that question are just joking, but you really gave it thought and took it seriously ^_^ If I had time I'd totally be inspired to contemplate my "superpower" but alas, homework is calling already! TO THE WACOM!!!!

as to the comments you made. The fish were added because it would be an amazing world if fish could swim through the air. And the snakes were aimed at Arthur Rackham's style b/c it's required for the assignment -.-

10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home